Professionals Number

01387 25 25 25
Phone arrows left

Professionals Number

Public Number

Phone arrows right

Public Number

01387 266 888

Professionals Number

01387 25 25 25

Public Number

01387 266 888

UK Benefit Guide

Home | UK Benefit Guide | War Disablement Allowance

The War Disablement Pension (WDP) is a payment made to people who have been injured or disabled as a result of any service in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

You may be entitled to it if you were you injured or disabled:

While serving in HM Armed Forces, including The Ulster Defence Regiment (now the Royal Irish Regiment), the Home Guard and nursing and auxiliary services.

Because of enemy action while you were a civilian during the 1939-45 war or a Civil Defence Volunteer.

Because of conditions during a war or because you were a prisoner-of-war, while serving as a merchant seaman, a member of the naval auxiliary services or a coastguard.

While serving either in the Polish Forces under British Command during the 1939-45 war or the Polish Resettlement Forces.

If YES to one, claim WDP.

You are not eligible to a WDP if you are still serving in HM Forces.

The rules of who can claim are different for each scheme.

The rules for War Disablement Pension mean that your individual circumstances may affect the amount you get. This means you will not always be able to work out exactly how much you will get.

The amount of money paid depends on the severity of your disablement. If your disablement is assessed at 20% or more, you will receive a pension; if less than 20%, you will normally receive a lump sum. However, if you have noise-induced sensorineural hearing loss, assessed at less than 20%, you will not receive a pension or a lump sum.

If you are elegible, claim straight away. If you delay you may lose money.

Contact the War Pensions Agency for a claim form:

By telephone: the Freeline 0800 169 22 77 (or textphone 0800 169 34 58) is open from 8.15am to 5.15pm Monday to Thursday; and from 8.15am to 4.30pm on Friday. If you are calling from overseas, dial +44 1253 866043

By post: War Pensions Agency, Norcross, Blackpool FY5 3WP

By email:

Before filling in the form, check you are applying for everything you may be entitled to.

You can also contact the War Pensioners’ Welfare Service. For your nearest office, look in the telephone book under War Pensions Agency.

If you contact the WPA, please quote your full name and National Insurance number.

Most ex-service organisations will be able to offer you help and advice on completing claim forms.

If you are already a war pensioner, you may be entitled to additional allowances:

If you are already a war pensioner and need medical treatment or care because of your war disablement, For further information contact the War Pensions Agency at the address above or via email, or telephone the War Pensions Freeline on 0800 169 22 77. If you are calling from overseas, dial + 44 1253 866043.

This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.