UK Benefit GuideHome | UK Benefit Guide |
Funeral Support Payment helps pay for funeral costs if you live in Scotland. You can use the payment towards funeral costs for a baby, child or adult. This includes babies who were stillborn.
It usually will not cover the full cost of the funeral but it should help pay for some costs. It can be paid either to you or the funeral director who’s helping you plan the funeral.
Only one person can get Funeral Support Payment for the funeral.
You will not be eligible if you’ve already had other government support for the funeral
Who can apply and when
You can get a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:
- you live in Scotland
- you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
- the person who died lived in the UK
- the funeral is being held in the UK, EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
- you are applying after the person has died, until 6 months after the date of their funeral
- you or your partner are responsible for the funeral
Benefits and tax credits you or your partner must get
You or your partner must get one or more of the following:
- Child Tax Credit
- Universal Credit (UC)
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
- Housing Benefit
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA