Young Carer Grant ScotlandHome | New Scottish Benefits |
About the grant
Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £305.10 for young carers in Scotland.
To be able to get Young Carer Grant, you must be 16, 17 or 18 years old.
You must also have been caring for 1, 2 or 3 people for an average of 16 hours a week for at least the last 3 months.If you care for more than one person, you can combine the hours of the people you care for to average 16 hours a week.
If you care for someone for 35 hours or more a week
You may be able to get Carer’s Allowance. You should apply for this once you’ve been paid Young Carer Grant. You will not be able to get Young Carer Grant if you’re already getting Carer’s Allowance. Check first before claiming Carers Allowance as claiming this can greatly reduce the disabled person benefits.
Who should apply
You can get Young Carer Grant if all of these apply:
- you live in Scotland
- you’re 16, 17 or 18 years old
- you’ve been caring for one or more people for around 16 hours a week, for the last 3 months
- the person or people you care for are getting certain benefits
- you’re not being paid to care for someone you will use in your application as part of your job
- you’re not helping care for the people you apply for as a volunteer, for example as part of a care group or charity
- you’re not already getting Carer’s Allowance from the Department for Work and Pension.
The person you care for and their benefits
The person or people you care for must have been getting one or more of these benefits for at least the last 3 months:
- The daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- The middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), including Child Disability Living Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Constant Attendance Allowance (War Pension or Industrial Injuries)
How to apply
Before applying for Young Carer Grant, you should have:
- your National Insurance number, if you know it
- your bank details
- details of the person you care for, including their National Insurance number, if you know it
More info and to apply online: Here